Creating Hope with The Power of Knowledge

This blog contains information pertinent to Lora Chowdhury - her work with children abroad and other community service activities.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Big Dreamers!



Kid’s definitely say the darnest things! I was so excited to be the guest speaker at Lake Ridge Elementary in Cedar Hill, TX, last Tuesday, April 12. Speaking to three 4th grade classes made for an extraordinary afternoon. Expressing the importance of staying in school, setting goals, and making responsible decisions to children much younger than I am was truly inspiring. As I was giving my presentation and speaking to the children about dreaming big, a little boy raised his hand and told me he didn’t want to go to college because he was concerned that it was too expensive. To hear a 10 year old student worrying about finance at such a young age worried me. I immediately replied that money should not come in the way of what he wants to do; I encouraged him to keep his chin up and never let anyone tell him what he can and cannot do and if he keeps up his good grades, colleges will pay him to go to school. With a very fun coloring activity, kids transformed a blank cut-out into an adult version of themselves and what they want to be when they grow up. We filled the page with goals and most importantly the phrase “Character Counts”! Throughout the entire presentation, the most important subject was character. No matter where you are or who you encounter, it is important to always have a very positive and elite character!

No comments:

Post a Comment