Creating Hope with The Power of Knowledge

This blog contains information pertinent to Lora Chowdhury - her work with children abroad and other community service activities.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

WPI Chili Cook-Off!


I was extremely excited to attend the WPI Firefighter’s Fund’s chili cook off on October 15 in Grapevine, TX. My wonderful sister queen, Kelli, and I were warmly welcomed and signed autographs next to Texas Rangers alumni (how cool!) I was thrilled when I was asked to help judge the chili cook-off on the “Table of Champions”! But, little did I know what I was getting myself into. I had never before judged a chili contest, or any food competition at that. There were over 20 bowls of chili and it was a very intricate process: open the lid, observe the “redness of chili”, stir around and check for consistency, smell, taste, check for after taste, dispose of spoon, clean palate with a cracker, and repeat! Although my stomach did not respond well to this, it was definitely a very interesting experience and Kelli and I had a wonderful time at the table.

“The WPI Firefighters' Fund is a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity specifically formed for the purpose of providing support to the fire service of the United States of America. Della Williams founded the WPI Firefighters' Fund in 1999. Ms. Williams is CEO of Williams-Pyro, Inc., an engineering and manufacturing firm operating in Fort Worth, Texas, since 1963. The WPI Firefighters' Fund has no employees: volunteers and key employees at Williams-Pyro conduct all outreach efforts. This unique structure allows the WPI Firefighters' Fund to concentrate all support and donations from outside sources directly to fire service personnel, injured firefighters, and the families of injured or fallen firefighters”



 Firefighters are a very important part of our society: ensuring safety, protection, and quickly responding to tragedies and I am very honored to have been a part of this event. Thank you, WPI for inviting me as a special guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment