Creating Hope with The Power of Knowledge

This blog contains information pertinent to Lora Chowdhury - her work with children abroad and other community service activities.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Journey to Bangladesh



I began my year as Miss Teen Texas with a BANG! Boarding a plane straight from San Antonio to go to Bangladesh truly made for an eventful Spring Break. Landing in Bangladesh, I was greeted by numerous people who were overjoyed with my new title, as well as my arrival. I spent a majority of my Spring Break working in an all girls orphanage, established November 2010. Although a small number, girls ranging from the ages of 4-8 were now given a home and the opportunity to attend school.  I was delighted to spend my time with these girls, teaching them to be poised, elegant, and the importance of knowledge. They taught me how to dance, sing, and value life even in their circumstances. My 4 days quickly passed and as my trip came to an end the young girls begged me not to leave. But, I promised to visit again, leaving a donation from my scholarship foundation, Learning Creates Futures, to establish a library in the orphanage. The young girls expressed to me how much they love to read and how privileged they are to be attending school. I hope my library will reinforce the value of education and truly create hope for their futures. I look forward to visiting Bangladesh again to see the growth of these beautiful girls and their library! I am proud to say that I truly had a life-changing experience this Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment