Creating Hope with The Power of Knowledge

This blog contains information pertinent to Lora Chowdhury - her work with children abroad and other community service activities.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Staying active!




Wednesday, May 25, 2011
I was very excited to present my “Big Dreamers” program to the West Intermediate Advanced Academic 5th graders! As the students explained to me what they hope to accomplish in the future with careers and even starting a family, this interactive presentation included the fifth graders coloring a self-portrait of themselves in the future, dressing up the character as his or her future profession. As we discussed character and goals, the kids absolutely loved coming up to the class to present short term and long term goals. They now know that “character counts all the time” and they even wrote this phrase on their future person. At the conclusion of the presentation I was pleased to leave them with a mind stirring with ideas and future goals. I am proud to say that I truly empowered these children with knowledge in the short one hour I was there. I am confident that they will carry out their future plans and I might even be seeing some of them again as my future doctors, lawyers and architects!


Saturday, May 21, 2011
Celebrating spring with a beautiful carnival was the perfect start to my Saturday morning last weekend! Bray Elementary held its annual spring carnival Saturday May 21 and I was much honored to be a guest at this joyous event. Signing autographs and even volunteering at the game booths was a great experience! The kids loved playing the games and little did they know they were also learning a lot from them. Almost every game had some sort of strategy planning or concept behind it. The bounce houses, venders, cake walk and even a dunk tank made for a family friendly carnival that brought a smile to everyone’s face. It is so great to see everyone get away with family and friends and forget about all the stress for a day, especially with such beautiful weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment